These tools can be used by technicians in your work with families and caregivers. Check back here often for new additions. Do you know of a resource you would like to see added to this collection? Please email email@example.com with your suggestion.
Resources created by CPSAC for use by members:
- Recommendations for revisions to Nova Scotia’s Traffic Safety Act
- Recommendations for car seats on aircraft for children under two
- UPDATED: Position statement on rear-facing recommendations for Canadian children
- Parent and Caregiver Presentation
- NEW! Booster Bar Instructions
Reference & Print Materials
- NEW! Effective responding online
- Showing empathy while working in child passenger safety
- Trifold brochure: CPSAC members may add their contact information to this brochure. Please ensure content is professional, and is contained within the boxed area. Do not modify any other aspect of the brochure.
- Check Forms
- Print your own – English – CPSAC Car Seat Check Form – revised Sept 2016
- Print your own – English – CPSAC Booster/Belt Specific Check Form – revised Oct 2016
- Imprimer votre propre – français – Formulaire d’inspection d’ensemble de retenue pour enfant
- Expiry Dates by Manufacturer and Type
- Provincial & Territorial Law Summary
- Used Seat Check List
- Recall Summary List
Resources created by our partners
Note: all of these resources have been reviewed by the CPSAC Curriculum Committee to be in-line with our materials and training.
Car seat overview page: http://www.parachutecanada.org/injury-topics/topic/C2
- Infant (rear-facing only) seats
- Rear-facing seats
- Forward-facing seats
- Booster seats
- Child seat belts
Ces fiches, conçues par le Child Safety Link, sont rédigées en double page de façon concise et simple pour permettre une lecture facile. Les fiches sont hébergées sur le site web de Parachute et sont disponibles en français:
- Siège de bébé
- Siège orienté vers l’arrière
- Siège orienté vers l’avant
- Siège d’appoint
- Ceinture de sécurité
Child Safety Link Resources
Child Safety Link is the child and youth unintentional injury prevention program of the IWK Health Centre in Halifax, Nova Scotia. These resources were created to support members in Atlantic Canada, but technicians in other parts of Canada may find them useful as well. Click here for more tools from Child Safety Link.
- Resources for Families: View the Child Safety Link resources for families including videos in English, French and Arabic. Members in Atlantic Canada can order print versions of these resources for free.
- Booster Seat Lesson Plan: This 20 minute intervention is evidence-based and well received by children and schools. This program is a part of the NS curriculum for Grade 2 and can positively influence booster seat use for this age group.
- Letter sent to schools in Nova Scotia in collaboration with the Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. English / French
- The Booster Seat Lesson Plan: English / French
- Additional resources to support the lesson plan include:
- Tools for working with Law Enforcement: There is evidence for enforcement checks creating community awareness for the need to use car seats and booster seats while reaching families who need support.
- Tools for hospitals and community services:
- Policy: The IWK’s evidence-based Infant Car Seat Education Policy is available. Resources to support this policy, including the powerpoint for nurse orientation, are available to those supporting Atlantic Canada on request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Workshop: A 3-hour workshop to support the safe transportation of children of all ages by social workers, access workers and drivers is available to those supporting Atlantic Canada on request to email@example.com.
- Other CPS Reports and Resources:
- Child Passenger Safety Primer (overview of the issue): click here
Safety 1st Resources
Safety 1st is a part of Dorel Industries, manufacturers of car seats, booster seats, and other juvenile products. This brochure was produced by Safety 1st with input from CPSAC.
SEATS for Kids Resources
SEATS for Kids is a volunteer-run organization that promotes child passenger safety across Central and Eastern Ontario by delivering car seat clinics, seminars and attending community events for donations. Our volunteers are passionate about child safety and car seats, and love to share that knowledge with others.
- Resources for Families: Seat Smart: Installing and Using Car Seats Safely brochure
Resources created by other organizations
LATCH Manual – 2019
The LATCH Manual is an American publication of Safe Ride News with Canadian content where noted. It is a tool used by CPSTs in the US and Canada as a quick reference guide to vehicle manufacturer statements on how to use child restraints in their vehicles. It is published every two years, and the 2019 edition should be available in January. Canadian ordering information.